Happy Friday Everyone!
We’ve got a fun snack recipe just in time for the weekend. This is a great family activity, or something fun that you can do with friends! There are also quite a few ways to make potato chips (baking, frying or microwaving) and we are going to show you how to make them! We used a deep fryer, but you can certainly use the alternate methods listed in the recipe.
- 4 potatoes
- 3 tbsp. of sea salt
- Soul Food or Soul Food Mild Spice Blend
- 1 quart of your choice of oil
- Deep fryer, microwave, pan or baking sheet/oven
- Oven mitt (Please use this anytime you plan on frying or handling hot things!)
- Tongs (if frying- to remove potato chips)
- Knife, food processor or mandoline
- Vegetable peeler
- Potato scrubber
- 3 large plates or bowls
- Paper towels
- First, lay out two large bowls or plates and cover them with paper towels (You will need them for later.) Keep extra paper towels close at hand for later use.
- Then, wash and rinse your potatoes. Make sure to scrub off the dirt, preferably with a potato scrubber.
- Take a vegetable peeler, or a knife and carefully cut off the potato skins (Some choose to leave them on for extra crispiness.).
- Slice the potatoes with a knife, food processor or mandoline to the desired width. Rinse the potato slices.
- Get a large bowl and fill with cold water, adding 3 tbsp. of sea salt. Place the potato slices in the bowl for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, take the slices out of the water and rinse them in a colander and lay out to dry on one of the plates or bowls with paper towels. Let potato slices dry for about 30 minutes.
- Begin cooking:
- If using a deep fryer, take out the frying basket and fill with desired amount of oil (Do not overfill!). Preheat fryer to 350 degrees (It should take about 10-15 minutes to heat up.). *PLEASE NOTE: Only cook a few at a time!
- If using a pan, fill with at least an inch of oil and slowly turn up the heat. Test the temperature with a wooden spoon; if it’s ready, bubbles will form around the wooden spoon! *PLEASE NOTE: Only cook a few at a time!
- If you are microwaving, place potato slices apart from one another and cover with a paper towel. Cook on high power for 3 minutes; check on them and continue cooking at one minute intervals until they are cooked to your liking.
- If baking in the oven, place potato slices apart on a gently oiled, buttered or greased baking pan and then oil/butter the potato slices. Cook for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees, or until golden brown.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Take the potato slices and lay them on the second bowl or plate covered in a paper towel to soak up the excess oil.
- Season with Seasonest’s Soul Food Blend!
We hope you enjoy this recipe. Let us know how your homemade potato chips taste!
The Seasonest Family